Thursday 27 July 2023

Enduring Love

 


So much is written and sung about love and a lot of it is to do with the heartbreak when that love is unrequited. Today I am going to write about enduring love and I have been encouraged to do so by my younger sister, Helen.

 

We were chatting a few days ago and in the conversation I had mentioned that I had been to visit our Aunt (no names). Our Aunt had recently become 87 years of age and her husband will be 90 this year. Over the years she had suffered from some type of cancer which was treated successfully and she also has diabetes. He had a heart bypass years ago but other than that he has always been in remarkably good health until he started suffering from dementia a few years ago and he is now in a nursing home for my Aunt could no longer care for him and it was taking its toll on her.

 

Now, it is worth it to continue to the end, I am giving you background.

 

My parents were from a Scottish, West Coast, seaside town and had moved East to West Lothian, Scotland before I was born. In these days this was a massive step. My uncle was the youngest in my Mother's family and he was at the age and time of National Service which he served in Edinburgh (East). He stayed with us when he wasn't on duty and this is where he met our girl next door, she was 18 and he was 20 and they have been inseparable since, that is until the dementia got to much for my Aunt to handle. My Uncle had a great sense of humour and he told the story why they got together, my  Aunt's mother had invited him in to watch football on a Sunday and they had the only TV on the street (yes, that is how long ago it was!😁).  When he went in he said she locked the door and wouldn't let him out again. Of course my Aunt just rolls her eyes at this story. They have two daughters, grandchildren and great grandchildren now and my Aunt was remarking when I saw her that what were the chances of this happening for in those days meeting someone who was from so far away, falling in love, and having such a loving and close family around them for support in this difficult time. Now for the crux of ths story.

My Aunt's youngest daughter had called in when I was there and was going to take her Mother to visit her Dad in the Hospital for he had had a very bad infection and we were all prepared for the worst, however, he started to get better and this is why they wanted to visit him for this was breaking news. They wanted to see him awake and feeling better, although he is still in the depths of dementia. Anyway my Aunt was saying she gets embarrassed if anyone is there when she leans over to give him a kiss and tells him she loves him. Her daughter and I just looked at each other, both saying what is there to be embarrassed about, in fact it should be the opposite, such love after all these years and it was as if the 18 year old girl was still there and had that crush on her boyfriend. My Uncle always smiles in response to the kiss for there is a part of him which still feels that great love.

I wanted to share this story with Helen and now you, for how often in life do we forget how important love is to each of us and how it can have a profound effect on our lives even if it is witnessing it as a third party. 

 

  Here is a selection of my art on canvas and other mediums available in my Bonanza Shop here.

 

I have two self-help stories available exclusively on Amazon, either on the Kindle or paperback, and I do hope that you find them interesting, thought-provoking, and, most of all, enjoyable: -

 

The Rock Philosophy

This simply written short story is aimed at those who seek to understand themselves, and through understanding themselves comes a greater understanding of life. 

 

The Life of Jesus

(as witnessed by his brother)

Much has been written about Jesus, and no matter your view on religion or Christianity, this person, whether he was as described in the bible or not, has singularly shaped, to a greater or lesser extent, the lives we lead today through his wisdom. There are many versions of the story, but there is only one truth, and is it not better to know the truth?

 

You are most welcome to visit my self-help youtube channel Advantage Subliminal

 

And you will find an excellent read in this recently published story by my son Colin, and it is here.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Broken Heart

  My Broken Heart   My broken heart, the cold wind blows. Winter is here, but Spring beckons!   John There is a selection of m...