Saturday 30 December 2023

Bouncing/Steward


Edinburgh

 

My friend who had been one of my original Karate coaches told me that he had taken a job as a part time Bouncer/Doorman/Steward years before to test himself and his Karate skills.  Good enough for me I thought so I, through a friend, got a part time job as a Doorman/Bouncer at ‘The Goblet’ on Rose Street in Edinburgh, this was in the early 1980s. Rose Street was a busy place for revellers, and it was known to have its moments. I was to work Friday and Saturday nights.  The guy who got me the job was the head doorman at a Pub with dancing a few doors along from where I was based.  Now you have to understand my only experience of bouncing was observing the bouncers at The Poly (dance hall) in West Calder and they were good.  I had never been in any fights as an adult other than sparring at Karate.  The Goblet was on two levels which were connected inside but had two separate external entrances/exits. I arrived on my first night dressed casually as was the requirement for this establishment.  I met the manageress and the experienced bouncer who I would be working with, and he would show me the ‘ropes’ and keep his eye on me to make sure everything was okay.  We were just getting ready to take up our positions when Pam the Manageress spoke to the two of us.  One of her bar people couldn’t manage and would one of us, the bouncers, fill in for them.  The experienced bouncer jumped at the chance which meant I was having my first night on my own.

 

I stood at one of the doors and watched the customers as they entered. There were two sets of doors, one outer and one inner, I was at the outer door separated from the bar by the inner door (if I remember correctly).  Shortly afterwards a barmaid called me over to introduce herself. I should mention that this was on the lower level, the other bouncer was working behind the bar on the upper level. Introductions done I went back to my post at the door.  It could only have been about 5 minutes later when I had heard the barmaid shout my name with some urgency. I entered the bar and there were two guys scrapping and of course no experienced bouncer for he was working in the bar on the upper level separated internally by steps and a door, so he had no idea what was happening. I didn’t have time to think, I just stepped in and restrained the nearest scrapper by putting my arm around his neck in a choke move and pulled him back off balance whilst eye-balling the other guy telling him to stay where he was.  In the back of my mind, I was telling myself that if he attacked, I would try and hold the guy I had and front kick the other assailant. Fortunately, he must have realised from the look on my face that he was better staying put which he did. The rest of the night was quiet after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Broken Heart

  My Broken Heart   My broken heart, the cold wind blows. Winter is here, but Spring beckons!   John There is a selection of m...