Saturday 16 December 2023

Embarrassing Moments 3


 West Calder Brass Band - Parkhead Gala Day 1960s


Pomp and Circumstance

 

I returned from band practice having played a new marching tune which I really liked.  My father was standing up some steps, perhaps changing a light bulb and I just couldn’t wait to tell him about it.  I gave him the name of the piece and I thought he was going to fall of the steps laughing.  After a minute or so and with tears in his eyes he said for me to tell my Mum, so I did. “Pompt and Circumcise!” I was young…… It should have been Pompt and Circumstance.

 

Horse manure

 

My parents visited not long after we moved into our new home in Warwick.  They had never been on an aeroplane before, and I had paid for them to fly down from Edinburgh Airport to Birmingham where I collected them. My Mum was a smoker and, in these days, it was allowed to smoke on aeroplanes, in fact it was possible to smoke anywhere. So, they enjoyed their first ever flight and being able to smoke made it all the more pleasurable for my Mum.

 

It was a new build that we were in so what to be our garden was very rough and ready. My father advised me that horse manure would be really good for the soil.  A few weeks later I headed up to Warwick Racecourse thinking I would buy some horse manure.  I went to the office and asked about buying some bags and the guy pointed over to another area outside. “There’s a shovel and sack, help yourself!” There was me, smart but casual, with pristine white trainers on thinking I was going to buy prepacked poo! By the time I was finished my trainers were green!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pathological Lying

  Pathological Lying   The truth is a mystery to me, however, you can never see, that I lie without thinking, with straight eyes, ...