Friday 22 December 2023

Moments


 Las Americas, Tenerife

 

Bryce’s garage

 

It was during my credit control career, and I would have been around 20 at the time when Dick Bryce, the owner of the local garage where I used to get my car serviced offered me a part time job. It partly involved going to see his customers who were owing him money. One Saturday morning I knocked on one of his customer’s doors to sort out the outstanding payment and it was his wife or girlfriend who came to the door.  She was wearing a flimsy nightie which she was pulling down at the front to cover her modesty.  The trouble was that when she turned around to shout through to her partner there was absolutely no modesty at the rear!

 

Not long after I moved to Tenerife my youngest son Colin and his friend, Steven, visited. When we were nearing where I lived, I pointed out the mountain in the distance, explaining that, if I remembered correctly, Tenerife was a volcanic island. When we arrived at my apartment in Adeje, I introduced them to my partner Helen and her little son Ethan (4yrs old), then once they were settled I gave them a tour of Las Americas for it was a popular night spot.  I made sure they had points of reference should they get lost or separated and they both had my phone number.  They went out that night and my phone rang when I was in bed, it was Steven.  He and Colin had got separated and he couldn’t find Colin anywhere.  I got up and drove to meet Steven and we drove around Las Americas several times but no sign of Colin.  We then went to the Police Station to check if he had ended up there, but no Colin. Feeling really concerned we returned home.

 

I think we must have had a cup of tea and wondered what we could do next for Colin was in a place where English was not the first language.  The we heard a knocking at the door, it was Colin.  He had flagged down a taxi and pointed towards the mountain and as luck would have it, the taxi driver got him home!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pathological Lying

  Pathological Lying   The truth is a mystery to me, however, you can never see, that I lie without thinking, with straight eyes, ...